Welcome, we are excited that you are joining us in a residential pre-college engineering program! Now that you have accepted our offer of admission, please follow these important steps to prepare for an unforgettable summer experience.

Steps 1 - 4. General Enrollment

What is my JHED and how do I activate it?
Your JHED is a user name and password that enables you to access many web-based applications at Johns Hopkins. Once you accept the offer of admission, the following day the registrar ([email protected]) will email you your JHED ID with instructions about how to activate your account. You may also find instructions on activating your JHED in the application portal in Slate, or here. It takes at least one day from the the time you accept the offer before you can activate your JHED. It is important to remember your JHED ID (user name) and password, after you set up your JHED.

Log into My JHED
After activating your account, login by visiting the MY JHU website.
User name: [email protected] (your JHED ID followed by @jh.edu–and use “jh.edu,” not “jhu.edu”)

Technical Assistance with JHED
If you’re having any technical issues related to JHED, contact the JHU IT Help Desk at 410-516-4357 or [email protected] for assistance. 

To ensure the security of JHU systems, certain logins require Multifactor Authentication (MFA). You can find more information about MFA and how to set it up by visiting the Whiting School’s multifactor authentication information.

After you activate your JHED account, (Step 1. above), you will register for your course section. This is similar to the process that you would follow as an undergraduate at JHU. Please follow these step-by-step instructions on the Class Section Registration Information page to register. 

It takes 24-48 hours, after you are enrolled in one of our courses, for a bill to be generated by JHU Student Accounts. You will use your JHED ID to log into your JHU SIS (Student Information Services) account to access your bill. Full program payment is due within 5 business days of successfully registering for the course and section.  

Please note that the Hopkins Engineering Innovation office does not handle billing; tuition and fees are added by Student Accounts after a student has successfully registered in a course and section (Step 3. above). Please follow these instructions for making payment in SIS and establishing Authorized User Access.

How do I pay for the course?

Payment by eCheck or credit card
You can pay online through your account in JHU SIS. Parent(s)/guardian(s) may be set up as “Authorized Users” by the student to have viewable access to the account. Authorized users access the account and all financial activity on SIS with their own ID and password. Online payments made by e-check require the account and routing numbers located at the bottom of any paper check. In compliance with federal law and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, the student is the only person who can grant anyone access to their account. 

Payment by check by mail
Checks for tuition and fees should be made payable to JHU and should include your Hopkins ID number. Please note that your Hopkins ID is not your JHED ID. You can find your Hopkins ID in the upper right-hand corner of SIS. Payments should be mailed to: 

Student Accounts Operations (TPP)
Johns Hopkins University
Garland Hall B33
3400 N. Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21218 

Tuition Remission
The Johns Hopkins Tuition Remission Plan may be used to cover tuition fees only; lunch, residential, and lab kit fees are not covered.  Johns Hopkins University employees should contact Human Resources to determine whether they are eligible for the benefit and complete the Dependent Child Tuition Remission Benefit Application. After fees have been posted to the student’s account, please submit an online form to JHU SEAM and upload the completed Tuition Remission Form to have it credited to the student’s account. 

Payment by wire
Johns Hopkins University contracts with both Flywire and Western Union Business Solutions to accept payments from international students worldwide. You can easily and securely make education payments in your own currency, using local payment methods from the safety and convenience of your home. Each company offers various payment methods, a wide range of international currency options, competitive exchange rates, and the convenience of paying through a local bank.

If you pay by wire transfer, please send a copy of the receipt to [email protected]; this will help JHU Student Accounts to properly allocate the funds.

View our withdrawal and refund policy.

Step 5. International Students Only

International students should follow the instructions outlined below to request a visa to attend an in-person program.

Students taking Engineering Innovation In-Person courses must have an F-1 visa.

How to Get Your Visa Document (I-20/DS-2019) from Office of International Services (OIS):

1. Accept your offer of admission to a JHU program and pay any required fees.

2. Receive an email from the Office of International Services (OIS) with instructions on how to request your visa document. OIS typically begins sending these emails in mid-March or later for Summer admissions.

3. You will be directed to complete the New International Student Form via iHopkins, the online portal for the Office of International Services.

4. An OIS advisor will review your request and issue your document. OIS aims to process requests within 10 business days of receiving the request, but it may take longer during peak times.

5. You will receive an email confirming that your document has been issued and explaining the next steps you’ll need to take.

Step 6. Forms and Documents

The following forms and documents will need to be completed and returned to the Engineering Innovation Office before a student is considered fully enrolled. Students who have not submitted the required materials will be removed from the program.

There are some post-admission documents that you will access and complete within the Engineering Innovation application portal. These forms will be available to you once you accept the offer of admission.

All in-person students at commuter and residential locations must upload a copy of their health insurance card. Please see the Policies and Services page for details.

Summer 2024 Physician Form – Do not email the Physicians form to us; instead, use the secured upload available through the digital enrollment forms mentioned below.

There are a number of additional online forms that will be sent to you via an email from our office.

Form for student to sign out of EI program and leave EI campus without EI or Summer Discovery supervision. 

We encourage residential students to remain on campus for the entirety of the program. In the case of extenuating circumstances or emergencies, the parent/guardian on record for the student may submit a release form. 

This form is also to be used for students who will not be picked up by a parent/guardian nor take the EI-provided shuttle at the end of the program.

Steps 7-10

To begin the registration process with Student Disability Services and to establish eligibility for disability related accommodations and services, follow these steps:

1. Create your JHED ID. (See What is a JHED + Activating My JHED above.)
2. Complete and submit the SDS Online Registration Form and upload supporting documentation. You can also find this form by visiting the Student Disability Services website and clicking on the link on the left-hand side labeled ‘New Students.’
3. Once your form and documentation are received, the next step in the process will be a phone call or virtual meeting with an SDS professional staff member, when needed, to complete your requested accommodations.

If you have any difficulty providing documentation or need more information about any aspect of the process, please contact SDS staff at [email protected].

EEI in-person, SEE, and ISPEED students at the JHU Homewood campus please see the Homewood Residential Location page.

EEI in-person students at Hood College, please see the Hood Residential Location page.

You are encouraged to program your phone with the JHU Security emergency dispatch number: 410-516- 4600. You may also download the LiveSafe App for free.

The RAVE Emergency Text Message System immediately broadcasts emergency information to subscribers. In cases involving an imminent threat to safety and security on or near the Homewood campus, the university may send text message alerts. You are welcome to subscribe to Johns Hopkins Emergency Alerts for the duration of your time here. To subscribe, text JHUHomewoodAlerts to 226-787. Subscribers will receive a confirmation text message in return. To unsubscribe when you leave campus, text STOP JHUHomewoodAlerts to 226-787.

Emergency blue lights are installed around campus to get you an immediate police officer response if you are in an emergency or feel concerned for your personal safety. Please see the map of the blue light locations. The Public Safety Office also has a complete list of Emergency Notification options with information about how to use them.

If a fire alarm goes off in the residence hall, you must immediately exit the building via the stairs and go across the street to sidewalks on campus. You should take your room key and J-Card with you for easier re-entry.

Take a moment to review Hopkins Engineering Innovation Policies & Services.