FAQs – International Students

  • TOEFL, IELTS, the Duolingo English Test (DET), or the Cambridge English Exam are recommended for applicants whose primary language is not English or students who have not attended an English language school for the last three years.

    Though not required, applicants who score below 690 on the Evidence-Based Reading and Writing (ERW) section of the new SAT or below 30 or more on both the ACT Reading and English sections are encouraged to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or DET scores, as it will often present them in the best light for their language preparation. Johns Hopkins prefers a score of 600 on the written test.

    • Applicants should typically receive a minimum of 100 total for the Internet-based TOEFL (iBT) with preferred sub-scores of
      • 26 (Reading)
      • 26 (Listening)
      • 22 (Writing)
      • 25 (Speaking).
    • A score of 7.0 or higher on each band is expected on IELTS.
    • A composite score of 120 or higher is expected for the DET with preferred sub-scores of
      • 125 (Literacy)
      • 120 (Conversation)
      • 135 (Comprehension)
      • 105 (Production).
    • C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency is expected with a Cambridge English score of 185 or higher.


  • You must have the transcript translated by an official service provider and emailed to our office with the original transcript and a complete Transcript Request Form signed by a school official.

  • Visas are not required for EEI online and BMEI online courses.

    For most international students, an F-1 visa is REQUIRED to attend the in-person program (visitor B1 visas are not acceptable). To apply for a F-1 Visa, click here to get an overview.  The Johns Hopkins University Office of International Services (OIS) will issue an I-20.

    Once accepted into the program, international students will receive additional information about applying for a visa. The process can be lengthy, and we recommend beginning immediately to ensure your visa is processed in time for the start of the program. 

  • No.  Please note that Explore Engineering Innovation (Online) and Biomedical Engineering Innovation Online cannot issue I-20 certificates.

    If a student is initially accepted to Explore Engineering Innovation (In-Person), and the in-person course is cancelled or the student’s plans change, the I-20 certificate that may have already been issued will be canceled as required by U.S. federal immigration regulations. 

  • Students enrolling in a Johns Hopkins University in-person course, including Explore Engineering Innovation (In-Person), must have health insurance, issued by a provider headquartered in the United States. Traveler’s insurance does not meet this requirement. A parent or guardian may not waive or permit students to attend without health insurance that is U.S. based. Documentation of health insurance must be provided to the program before enrollment is confirmed.

    International students must also meet this U.S. based health insurance requirement. For students who cannot document satisfactory coverage, a temporary, summer-only plan is available. This is a limited, emergency plan, and does not cover pre-existing conditions.  More details on this program are available in this PDF flyer. 

    See the separate Health Insurance FAQ below for more details.

    Students taking an online course do NOT need to provide proof of health insurance.

  • International students who enroll in an online course may need to pay an international shipping fee to cover the additional expenses of shipping lab supplies outside the U.S.  Please see Lab Kits for Online Courses on the Enrollment Process page for more information.

    Students who require a visa to attend Explore Engineering Innovation (In-Person) should plan to also pay for visa applications and SEVIS, as well as for travel to and from the course location.

Back to top