International Students


TOEFL, IELTS, or the Duolingo English Test (DET) are required for applicants whose primary language is not English and who have not attended an English language school for the last three years.

Though not required, applicants who score below 690 on the Evidence-Based Reading and Writing (ERW) section of the new SAT or below 30 or more on both the ACT Reading and English sections are encouraged to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or DET scores, as it will often present them in the best light for their language preparation.

Applicants should typically receive a minimum of 100 total for the Internet-based TOEFL (iBT) with preferred sub-scores of 26 (Reading), 26 (Listening), 22 (Writing), and 25 (Speaking). A score of 7.0 or higher on each band is expected on IELTS, and a score of 75 or higher is expected for the DET.



Transcripts from international schools should be officially translated into English.


Visa Requirements

International students should obtain a visa to participate in Engineering Innovation–usually an F1 Visa. Once the student is accepted into Engineering Innovation, he/she will need to provide the Office of International Services at Homewood with a copy of their passport identification pages and a copy of a bank statement showing sufficient funds to support expenses for the Engineering Innovation program. The bank statement should be less than six months old, on bank letterhead, and include the account holder(s) name(s), account number(s), current balance, and date of issue as evidence of financial support for the program.


Once the Office of International Services at Homewood receives these documents, they will prepare the forms required for the F1 visa application. If you want more information click here to go to the Office of International Services at Homewood website.

Information regarding the Executive Order on Immigration can be found here.


Health Insurance

All international students must have health insurance that is valid in the United States and be able to provide proof of this insurance upon enrollment in the program.  Please note that you must provide a copy of your insurance information in English.

Here is a list of potential insurance providers. 


Cell Phone

All International Students must have a cellular phone that functions in the United States at the start of the program.

Back to top